The Charter establishes various rights, responsibilities and privileges for city government and its citizens that does not superseded State or Federal laws. Below are a few examples:
1) The number of Councilmembers, their terms and how they are elected;
2) Duties of the Mayor, Council and specific staff members;
3) The type of government utilized;
4) Citizens’ right to initiative, recall and/or referendum;
5) City’s right to annex, tax and provide safety for its citizens; and
6) Procedures and ethics.